[thelist] Thoughts on email viruses and the best prevention of said gremlins

AtdtXav atdtxav at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 02:32:05 CDT 2001

Doesn't really have too much to do with this thread directly,
this is just my thought on the matter (I wonder if the evolt
crew could tell the mail server to suppress a thread that's
gotten out of control... I'm not a mail guy, but I imagine that
would save a lot of trouble (who said this was a democracy?)).

I send my lists to yahoo.  I also use hotmail, and I don't use
popmail at all.  When I do use more direct email, I usually PINE
to it, and I also use those for -purely- personal emails, never
giving them out over the web.

This has done me very well.  I've received one of the latest
viruses through my yahoo account, and one through hotmail, and I
use them for completely separate purposes.  Regardless, both
make the attachments quite obvious.

In this instance, I saw the email in hotmail and immediately
knew it was a virus, mostly because all of my friends have a
vague idea of how to use proper grammar, plus it's rather easy
to recognize spam.  Curious, I clicked on the attachment
(knowing hotmail would check it before allowing me to DL), and
sure enough, there was the W32/whatever virus.

Those of you who are concerned, consider using web-based email
for your lists (including evolt) and for other less savory
identity tasks.

SKennedy, webguy and former Network Admin
<TIP author="Scott Kennedy" type="preventing email viruses in
Outlook">

A lot of people don't want to set up outlook express to prevent
attachments, and people who use it with the auto-preview window
enabled are exactly the ones most likely to be hit by the latest
virus.

A simple solution involves two steps, and any net-admin worth
their salt should enforce this rigidly:

1.  Set your "Restricted Sites" security in IE to suppress all
ActiveX, Java, and active scripting.

2. Set your Outlook Security (under Options) to Restricted
Sites.

Unless your company specifically sends scripted webpages through
email, this should do nothing except prevent auto-loading spam
and viruses from autoloading.

This does nothing, of course, from preventing anyone from
blindly clicking on random attachments.
</TIP>

2.  Set outlook express

<20010723003051.HBCY13138.femail13.sdc1.sfba.home.com at c983847-a.potlnd1.or.h