[thelist] cold fusion cookie question

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Tue Jul 24 10:56:26 CDT 2001

working my way through my first cookie application, i came across the
following gem in the cold fusion docs --

   DOMAIN
   Specifies the domain for which the cookie is valid and to
   which the cookie content can be sent. An explicitly specified
   domain must always start with a dot. This can be a subdomain,
   in which case the valid domains will be any domain names
   ending in this string.
   For domain names ending in country codes (such as .jp, .us),
   the subdomain specification must contain at least three periods,
   for example, .mongo.stateu.us. In the case of special top level
   domains, only two periods are needed, as in .allaire.com.

so, my domain is rudy.ca -- what am i supposed to stick in front of that?

if i use DOMAIN=".www.rudy.ca" does that mean the cookie won't work if
people are surfing to http://rudy.ca pages?

will i be forced to use that horrible www thing?  that sucks, big time

what if i say DOMAIN="..rudy.ca" (i.e. three dots, but no subdomain)?  my
application isn't far enough along to test yet, so i thought i'd ask

and what makes dot-com so special, anyhow?

rudy