[thelist] Gradient CSS and IE 4+

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Tue Jul 24 14:09:14 CDT 2001

> hopefully someone can help me out here... i need to find a way to generate a
> gradient shade that is controlled by css so it can be easily updated.  The
> problem is that is has to work in IE 4 or 5.  I have found IE5.5 specific
> code that works and does exactly what i need:

is a background-image and background-color combo out of the question?
You could set a background-image for the container element, no-repeat.
And have to image fade out to whatever your background-color needs to
be. Stick with a websafe color if you can - I'm seeing differences in
color between a background image and bgcolor - even though they are
specd at the same rgb.

I found I couldn't use the alpha filter on any element except DIV and
the div needed to be positioned for it to work.? Is that right?

Sam