[thelist] cold fusion cookie question

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Tue Jul 24 17:34:52 CDT 2001

rudy,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: rudy
:
: > however, if you setup the site to only append
: > them to the url when needed (ie, after login)
: > then search engines would never see them (since
: > they don't submit forms).
:
: thanks, jeff, that's what i figured, so that's
: probably the way i'll go
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sounds like more work than is necessary for what you want to do.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: > if it's to maintain a session, then why not just
: > let the cf server handle setting them for you?
:
: you probably missed the first part of this thread
: where i discovered to my horror that i cannot set
: a cookie for rudy.ca because it doesn't have three
: dots in it
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nope.  i didn't miss it at all.  i'm suggesting that you don't worry about
it and just let the cf server worry about it instead.  i'm betting if you
let it set those cookies for you that they'll work just fine.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: and i just plain refuse to stick dubya dubya dubya
: in front of my domain name
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

don't blame ya.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: so it looks like cookies just won't work for me

on the contrary -- i'm telling you that they'll work just fine and with even
less effort than you originally imagined.  just use the <cfapplication> tag
i offered in my last response -- that's all you need.

good luck,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org