[thelist] cold fusion cookie question

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Jul 24 17:41:48 CDT 2001

At 03:22 PM 7/24/2001, you wrote:

>you probably missed the first part of this thread where i discovered to my
>horror that i cannot set a cookie for rudy.ca because it doesn't have three
>dots in it
>
>and i just plain refuse to stick dubya dubya dubya in front of my domain
>name
>
>so it looks like cookies just won't work for me

I had a problem with cookies with a client project I did a few months ago.
Quick summary, the client had a promotional code they were sending with
their products that allowed people to enter the code at the web site to see
if they had won an "instant prize" or a "prize piece" (1 of 2 pieces
needed). Instead of a DB we used cookies to assist return visitors in
tracking what promotion codes they had entered. Also, we had to host the
site for a while then move the site to the client's servers. Therefore we
had to make the cookies cross sub domains.

This is what I did (ASP Code):

   '' Cookie Domain
   CookieDomain = ".foo.com"

   Response.Cookies("BlahBlahBlah") = varSchtuff & "," & varMoreSchtuff
   Response.Cookies("BlahBlahBlah").Expires = #January 31, 2002#
   Response.Cookies("BlahBlahBlah").Domain = CookieDomain
   Response.Cookies("BlahBlahBlah").Path = "/"

The ".foo.com" allowed any sub-domain access to the cookie. Although I just
realized that "foo.com" may have a problem, didn't need to test that
possibility.

If that's the case this doesn't help, rudy. ;-)
---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys

Blatant Plug: Cool Jazz for a hot summer,
     http://LisaMarie.Baratta.com