[thelist] re VIRUS--spam??

s t e f stef at nota-bene.org
Wed Jul 25 02:56:38 CDT 2001

Anthony Baratta wrote:

> At 02:07 PM 7/24/2001, you wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else on the list been getting anything similar?  Is there
>> anything I can do to stop the barrage? It seems like something automated.
>

> It's the SirCam Virus.
>
> More info here:
>
> http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_SIRCAM.A
>

> Send the people an email with the above link, it has removal instructions.

Anybody on thelist know these people?
They all seem infected and since I only post to thelist, I guess they
may have gathered my email address from here. Please, people, do what's
necessary, I'm spammed and my email box is getting fuller by the minute.

Céline et Olivier
Elisabeth Keitel
Franck Demordiere
manou
martial longatte
michel charvolin
serge fontaine
Thierry Arnaud-Peria
village web

And of course this begs for a tip

<tip type="email viruses">
- never EVER open an unsolicited attachment
- in Windows, always display all the files extensions, so that a
.doc.pif shows as a .doc.pif and not as a mere .doc
- always have your antivirus up to date
- never use the Visualize Pane in Outlook (Express or not)
- whenever possible, prepare a reply email for all the infected people
who sent it to you.
</tip>

--
s t e f