[thelist] Search Engine Submissions

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 12:49:42 CDT 2001

> Message: 18
> From: "Annie" <annie at twitch.ca>
> Subject: [thelist] Search Engine Submissions

> I've heard of companies that will submit a website to up to 1000 search
> engines for a fee of ~ $40.00 or something like that
> Does anyone know who they are, how much they cost or how reliable they
are?

I am a very, very strong believer in submitting by hand.  We're talking
about 10 search engines here, a few more for regional variations.  Each is
different, and each needs careful attention if you want good results.  The
smartest software in the world isn't going to think the way a human does.
For places like Yahoo! and DMOZ where you have to submit to categories, but
can submit to more than one category, a little careful browsing and some
brain power can garner good results.

I have a site that sells X.  Competition for X listings is very competitive.
However, doing some digging at DMOZ and Yahoo, I find the little-populated
category called "X Guides."  Well, my site provides a *lot* of information
on Xs, it doesn't just sell them, so this is an ideal second category for me
to submit to.  Of course, having found this, I now need to go back and make
some changes to my metatags and keyword usage.

I defy any software to be that intelligent. And I defy any software to
submit with the same care I do when I submit by hand, with the same results.

--Bri