[thelist] ASP Help Please

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Wed Jul 25 17:40:02 CDT 2001

| I haven't connected Front Page to a database before but need
| to connect to a
| Progress database. I would appreciate any links to web sites
| that anybody
| knows about that would help me get started.
| I'm thinking that I need an ASP yet I do not know how to
| create one. Please
| help me get started.
|  In the end I would like to have the end users on my intranet
| be able to
| custom query data from with our ERP system. Form what I've
| seen I'm guessing
| I'll need to use VB scripting but I don't know too much about
| that either.
| Lets say I know enough to get myself in trouble.
| If someone has some DB connectivity samples to share with me I would
| appreciate it.

Hi Bob,

This is a big list. Perhaps we could break it down a little.

The first thing to understand is you will need to access a database from the
ASP page. Usually this is done with ADO. ADO uses OLE DB. OLE DB can use
ODBC. Like this alphabet soup? It's actually simple when you begin to code,
you just have to set everything up. So, the first question is: do you need
to use PostgreSQL? Are you running on Linux or Windows?

The next is: Does your ERP have an ODBC connection?

Could you also explain a little more about what the "custom query" is? I am
making a leap in understanding I am not comfortable doing if we move
forward.

Let me lead you to the end of our discussion. I will likely point you in the
direction of clear, informative online resources for you to learn everything
you need to get up and running plus any immediate code examples for your
perusal, if specifically needed. I'm confident I'll also not be the only one
on evolt to do so...

<rory disposition="happily" alt="8)"/>