[thelist] My dear CFASSOCIATEs

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Thu Jul 26 16:52:17 CDT 2001

raymond,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Raymond Camden
:
: > basically cfassociate allows you to
: > call a custom tag from within another
: > custom tag and save the results of the
: > sub tag with the results of the main
: > custom tag.
:
: I'm probably being anal, but this is somewhat
: off. CFASSOCIATE does not "call" a custom tag
: in any sense - it simply passes information
: from a sub tag to a parent tag.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

well, i didn't mean to say that you used the <cfassociate> tag to "call" the
sub tag.  i meant that in calling that sub tag, you could use the
<cfassociate> tag to pass the results of that sub tag back to its parent --
pretty much what you said.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: CF_QuickForm is a custom tag I wrote to
: abstract simple forms. CF_Element handles
: the creation of the form elements themselves,
: dropdowns, textboxes, etc. So, if I had used
: the CFSET Caller.Foo type code, it would be
: possible for me to overwrite data. I.e., I'd
: have to worry about the second CF_Element
: screwing over the data from the first. By
: using CFASSOCIATE, I can simply dump the data
: back to QuickForm and not worry about name
: conflicts. Since information is stored in an
: array, I can simply loop over the data that
: each CF_Element passed back to me.

excellent example of the use of the <cfassociate> tag.

thanks,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org