[thelist] My chat with Network Solutions

CDitty mail at redhotsweeps.com
Fri Jul 27 10:54:32 CDT 2001

Hello all,

Thought some of you might get a kick outta this.  I am looking to do a new
site and was researching domain names.  I found a name that I liked that
was taken.  Darn.....But wait, the name expired last month.  Great.  But
how long do I have to wait?  Looking around, I found a chat section for
Network Solutions.  So I tried that.

Basically, the only answer I could get from them about when the name might
expire was this.

<quote>
"there is an unspecified and variable grace period following
expiration.  It is impossible to predict the cancellation date"
</quote>

They wouldn't elaborate on the grace period.  All this guy wanted to do was
push their new little service called snapnames.  They check the domain for
you and then register it when it is available.  $49/year.   Pass.

How can they continue to get away with this?  Where are the checks and
balances? If a domain expires on a certain date, then it should be released
soon after.  If I don't pay my bills by the due date, then I am
penalized.   I understand that some people forget to pay and renew, but
that's life.

Chris