[thelist] recent virus to thelist..

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Mon Jul 30 14:48:33 CDT 2001

Hey folks -

Although Matt has explained the situation about the virus that slipped
through today, I just wanted to let you know that all postings are going
to be held today untill either matt or I approves them(hopefully not
using Lynx ;) just to filter out all the autoresponders from mail
servers. Also, I'm wipping that message and the thread so no one on the
digest gets it tonite.(around 1200 people are on the digest) So, don't
be concerned if your posts aren't coming through as quickly as they
normally do..

Thanks for everyones patience and understanding about this rather
embaressing situation :)

<tip type="unix filesystems">
If you're using a Unix system for a high end database system, choosing
and tuning your filesystem can have a real impact on performance.

Don't ever format your filesystems without some parameters like a
default block size to use. If you have many smaller files, its often
wiser to set the blocksize to a smaller value when you format the disk,
and a larger blocksize when you have fewer but larger files on the FS.

Letting the disk buffer a couple K at a time, and *then* write the data
is always a performance win on high end DB's.

With the default Linux filesystem(ext2), you can set the default block
size for the FS to 4096 bytes with:

mke2fs -b 4096 -t ext2 /dev/sda1

</tip>

.djc.