[thelist] CSS2 and Netscape 4.7 problem

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Tue Jul 31 10:20:48 CDT 2001

> background-color: transparent ;
>
> When I did put this into the remote CSS file (starting with H1
> and running all the way down the list) in order to validate,
> Netscape 4.7 then displayed a bizarre black background
> on each page, blotting out most of the background image
> and black text but showing colored text and images.

hi sharon

yeah, i've seen that

a lot will depend on how many and which selectors you've applied colour to,
and whether or not you've applied colour to child selectors that should
theoretically inherit colours from their parents

or something like that (sorry if i'm misusing the css terminology)

since you said "starting with H1 and running all the way down the list" you
may have a more complex problem

in my case, the mysterious netscape 4 black background showed up in an html
table

   body { color:#600;background-color:#FFC }
   td { color:#060;background-color:transparent }

i worked around this by giving the table cell the same actual background
colour as the body, which wouldn't work in your case since you have a body
background image

rudy