[thelist] SQL: Searching a field with mutiple names

Toivonen, Nicole Nicole.Toivonen at crt.xerox.com
Thu Aug 2 09:24:13 CDT 2001

She of the annoying SQL questions returns:

I'm trying to implement a database search, and am finding that I'm not able
to come up with any records.

The databse is an authors database, and the search is mainly based on the
user entering the name, or partial name in a text field.  Simple, yes?
Not so much, for me anyway.  The field being searched contains several
names, most of the time, since those wacky scientists tend to write papers
together.  So, a given record could look like:

Toivonen, N; Loutfy, R; Smith, P

How do I then pull the 'Toivonen' records from the DB?  I'm sure I'm missing
something.

LIKE '%Toivonen%'
LIKE 'Toivonen%'
and
LIKE 'Toivonen'

aren't working for me.

TIA!

Nicole,
who knows that, by now, she owes rudy at least two pints.

Nicole Toivonen
Web Developer
Xerox Research Centre of Canada
nicole.toivonen at crt.xerox.com