[thelist] How do I handle an anticipated overwhelming load on our server

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Thu Aug 2 12:38:41 CDT 2001

> The problem is, we host our site in-house on an NT server
> that is running
> pretty much at capacity, and we have a 256 kbs frame relay connection.

How do you know it is running at capacity? Have you tweaked and tuned
IIS? What kind of info packet? (How big?)

When is the article gonna run? If you have 30+ days you can get a bigger
pipe in (have you looked at dsl?), the alternative is to find a co-lo
asap. --An ISP that will let you house your server in their location
with their pipes to the 'net.

Your bottleneck here is gonna be your connection. Tackle that first
(especially since you'll need some lead time if you want the telephone
company to do something), and read up on tuning IIS:

IIS4: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q235/4/61.ASP

IIS5 (Win2K):
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/web/tuning.
asp