[thelist] JavaScript problem - favorite/bookmark(let)

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sat Aug 4 19:20:42 CDT 2001

databarn wrote:

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> [DEFAULT]
> BASEURL=file://C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\webcam.htm
>
> [InternetShortcut]
> URL=javascript:window.open("http://barnsplace.com/barnsplace/webcam32/webcam.asp", "webcam","menubar=0,scrollbars=0,width=330,height=250,toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0");
> Modified=60A331B1F89FC0013D
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> I quoted the URL as well as the rest and at least I got a new error.  No message, but the browser window (not resized, btw) now displays
> [object]
> which is not anything I've seen before.

I'd never used an "Internet Shortcut" before, so I had to try it;
my result was a small window matching the options above *and* an IE
standard-size window with [object] in it - and the page loading in
the pop-up contains nothing but straight HTML, so it's *not* related
to your webcam.

The full-size window is apparently required to execute a javascript
URL; adding "window.parent.close();" after the window open code
results in a prompt:

	"The Web page you are viewing is trying to close the window.
	 Do you want to close this window?"

If you agree, the large window is closed, and the small opened one
remains. I haven't spent much time with IE, so I won't even hazard
a guess as to how you might get around this issue ...

FWIW, and best of luck!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com