[thelist] Default Form Submit Button

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Sun Aug 5 11:26:29 CDT 2001

hershel,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Hershel Robinson
>
> I have a FORM with three INPUT TYPE=IMAGE elements in it.
> When the user presses the Enter key in one of the TEXT
> inputs, naturally the first image input is triggered.
> As a matter of fact, its onclick event is actually
> triggered, too.  What I want, however, is for the third
> button to be triggered.
>
> I don't want to change the order of the buttons, because
> logically, they belong where they are.  How can I make
> the third one the default button?
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

sounds like a conflict of logic to me.  readers read from left to right.
the most likely button to be default probably actually belongs on the left
with each button in descending priority to its right.  think of a dialog.
there are many we encounter through the course of a day.

OK and Cancel
OK, Apply, and Cancel
Yes, Yes to all, No, No to all, Cancel

notice the order?  from most important (OK) to least important (Cancel).  or
from a different perspective, from default or the most likely to be used
(OK) to least likely to be used (Cancel).

therefore, logic dictates that if your third button is the default, it's in
the wrong spot.  rather than defy that logic (something users are
unconsciously aware exists), evaluate that logic and determine as
objectively as possible whether or not it applies to your case and if so how
much.  i'll bet you'll find that the simplest doesn't involve script or some
long-lost html trick, but rather something tried and true --  simply moving
the elements.

good luck,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/