[thelist] click-through statistics

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sun Aug 5 17:19:02 CDT 2001

Stan Haskins wrote on 5/8/01 11:12 pm

>The organizers of a project I'm working on are interested in tracking the
>amount of users who link to other sites from within our site. We are
>currently using thecounter.com to track users of our site and how they got
>there. Does anyone know how we can find out what links they're following
>from within our site?

Stan

What you'll need to do is have a bit of code which will exectute on
your server to write a log when users have clicked on an outgoing link.

The way to do this is to have all outgoing links directed to a logging
script with the end URL as a parameter. The script will log the hit,
then redirect the user to the end URL - something like
evolt.org</a>

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland