[thelist] Yahoo! like HTML textarea

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 6 16:09:01 CDT 2001

> From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
>
> this is going to sound like a commercial, and i apologize, but i
> recall ektron webeditpro or whatever it's called uses a java plugin
> for netscape users, internet explorer uses activex, i think -- but i
> haven't seen their software for a couple years...it was nice, though,
> the familiar buttons, B for bold, I for italic, and so on...

http://www.ektron.com/ewebeditpro.cfm?doc_id=1090#

was reading through it earlier myself... still weighing it as an
option...

[...]
> for a blog you probably wouldn't want a whole lot more than <p>,
> <strong>, and <a href>
>
> for clients taking over maintenance of their own web sites, more
> complexity is required

what's nice about some projects is the templates and CSS do
most of the work, so you actually have a much smaller feature-set
to support... <h#> tags, bold/italic, hyperlinks, and images...

for something like that, it would be pretty easy...

it's trying to include even more robust features (color control,
tables, etc.) that create the problems... not only for finding a
WYSIWYG tool that doesn't create nasty code, but also for
allowing the user to make pages that will break the templates
you've designed... and not because they need to, but because
someone thinks all the content on the page should be in heading 1,
bold, italic, and colored...