[thelist] [OT] Spam?

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Tue Aug 7 11:31:37 CDT 2001

| I got 2 and both were reported to spamcop.

Thanks, CDitty!

To save the less informed among thelist family a few seconds of search
time...

The address to forward the spam to is:

spamcop at spamcop.net

Then, as from their website, "You will get back a reply with
already-authorized URLs for reporting the spam. The email address used to
forward the spam may receive responses from the recipients of your reports
(see below)."

see: http://spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml for more information/details.

<rory disposition="surprisingly awake!" alt="8)"/>

Hmm... I see this is OT, well... I've been saving some!

<tip type="ColdFusion">
Accessing non-local scoped variables can be a hassle, within a
multi-threaded environment like ColdFusion. That is why the geniuses who
work on this thing came up with the solution called "CFLOCK."

When accessing Session, Application or Server scoped variables (even in a
cfif statement!) it is wise to wrap them in a cflock tag. When only reading,
you can use a READ-ONLY type lock, when writing you use an EXCLUSIVE type
lock. You also set the time in seconds when the wait for the lock will
expire -- thus avoiding deadlocks of one lock waiting on another, which is
waiting on the first.

Some caveats, however. Over use of locking and enclosing locks within locks
can lead to bizarre behavior. Best practice dictates locking only to read
into local variables the broader-scoped ones, and writing to local variables
in loops, only to assign the whole variable to the broad-scoped variable
when through. Enclosing locks, only when necessary, should be done from
narrowest to broadest scope, that is from Session containing Application
containing Server scoped locks.

A great resource for further knowledge can be dove into here:
http://www.vboston.com/DepressedPress/Content/ColdFusion/Essays/Locking/Inde
x.cfm

</tip>