[thelist] slow e-commerce sites and login

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Tue Aug 7 11:53:41 CDT 2001

This is a little bit of a rant but I'm wondering if others can't shed some
light on this and maybe offer your solutions.

I have had the experience with several sites (most recently MyFonts.com
which I think is a really cool resource otherwise) that once you go through
the trouble of creating a login and an account that the site slows to a
crawl. Logging out seems to bring me back up to speed.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Is this the case of an overloaded
secure server or is the login authentication and database chatter slowing
things down? Is it an over-reliance on cookies?

- amanda