[thelist] >> Stupid JS trick > using the double and triple combo boxes

Kevin krr at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 9 11:18:03 CDT 2001

> Message: 1
> From: Michael Buffington <mike at price.com>
> To: "'thelist at lists.evolt.org'" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 17:59:58 -0700
> Subject: [thelist] Stupid JS trick
>
> I have no doubt that this topic has been extensively covered, but after an
> hour or two of searching I've swallowed my pride and am now taking it to
the
> list.
>
> I have a form, with several select elements. The select elements are
> populated by individual ColdFusion queries (which probably isn't that
> relevant).
>
> I need the select elements to show dynamic values based on the selections
of
> the other select elements, using JavaScript to avoid a refresh.
>
> So if the user selects CA in select box 1, select box 2 should only show
> cities unique to california. It also needs to go the other direction - if
> the user leaves select box 1 blank, but selects a city, the state for that
> city should be selected.
>
> I understand that giving each select element the ability to be a child or
> parent could get pretty complex, and that strict parent/child
relationships
> are simpler. I'm having a difficult time with both, so I'll take what I
can
> get.
>
> If anyone has any examples or how-to's I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Michael Buffington
> http://www.michaelbuffington.com
> mike at stompzine.com
> cell. (714) 404-8616
> home. (949) 457-2247

Web Abstract has several to choose from

This first is the triple combo box
http://www.wsabstract.com/script/script2/triplecombo.shtml
shows an example in action and the code is cut and paste

The second is the double combo
http://www.wsabstract.com/script/cut183.shtml
and again it shows the example in action

Kevin