[thelist] Scanning line art?

Norman Bunn norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
Tue Aug 14 10:49:55 CDT 2001

Any non-compressed format is going to preserve your content the best.
However, since each individual dot is being mapped, these files tend to be
quite large.  Most scanners that I have used default to TIFF, which seems to
work just fine as long as your graphics program can read it (as most can).
As far as scanning resolution, it really depends on what you intend to do
with the image.  If you ever intend to enlarge it, then scan at a higher
resolution; intend to reduce it, then scan at a lower resolution; intend to
send direct to web, use 72dpi.  I usually scan at 300dpi, though I have
found times to scan higher and lower.

HTH,

Norman