[thelist] voiceXML gateways and browsers

Jay Turley jay at weberrific.org
Wed Aug 15 10:34:39 CDT 2001

Hi all-

I asked this on another list, and the only answer said to try to use the
infrastructure already in place with one of the companies listed below.
This is not an option. Hopefully someone out here has some experience with
this type of application...

I've been tasked with developing an IVR application for my client. They
have the hardware (Dialogic cards), and the Dialogic SDK (using C++). Well,
I've been looking at voiceXML over the last day-and-a-half, and it seems
that voiceXML is exactly what I need to do some very rapid development for
this project.

However, despite repeated viewings of diagrams showing exactly how a whole
application is supposed to work, I can't seem to make the logical jump to
determine what sort of tool I am going to need to serve up the voice
content.

After looking at tellme, bevocal, heyanita, and the like, I still am not
sure if any of their enterprise-class gateways/browsers come with full
support for the backend telephony hardware that is needed, or if the
backend support will need to be integrated separately.

Does anyone out there have any experience with building standalone
applications that use voiceXML, and if so, which product(s) did you use? Is
the hardware support built-in? Or did you have to integrate it separately?

Thanks,

<tip type="client mgmt">
  If you have voicemail, take an extra 2 minutes per day to change the
message for the day to include the day of the week and date. This shows
existing and prospective clients that you are on top of your game and very
aware of what is going on. Makes a great impression.
</tip>

  http://www.weberrific.org
 "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"