[thelist] help! i need some content.

Kevin krr at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 15 13:35:24 CDT 2001

> Message: 21
> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:56:55 -0400
> To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> From: Morbus Iff <morbus at disobey.com>
> Subject: Re: [thelist] help! i need some content.
>
>  >i have content.... but i need more :)
>
>  From your original message:
>  >unfortunately, i have nothing to put in the site (its still in
development).

> What I'd ultimately suggest is to try and reinvent the wheel but not
> reinvent the idea. So, in other words:
>
>   - don't reinvent the "idea" of a tutorial based site. unless you've
>     got a large cadre of people checking the tutorials for
>     excellency and correctness, the site is just gonna die a horrible
>     death, and/or become known as a "misgiver of information" (cos
>     something that's explained in a tutorial is miscorrect or bad
>     form).
>
>   - instead, reinvent the wheel. take a look at any page of amazon.
>     try to recreate that page locally using php and html. use the
>     php documentation to help you - there's a lot already there.
>     once you have a page created, try making a sub-site of
>     books from amazon, all dynamically checked against other
>     pages and so forth.
>
> It comes down to one core belief:
>
>    "don't try to be a teacher for others if you're learning yourself"
>
> You said in a previous message you wanted to use this to gain experience.
> That's great! But don't cause confusion for other newbies (which site
> should I read? which doc should I trust?) whilst you learn. It's much
> better to put on a resume "recreated amazon.com using php and html, and
> improved the site by stressing standards and css" than "created a tutorial
> site with hundreds of people contributing".
>
> The first sounds like your smart. The second sounds like nothing more than
> a static page creation that monkeycodes the works of other as content.
>
> My 2 cents.
>

> --
> Morbus Iff ( i am your scary godmother )
> http://www.disobey.com/ && http://www.gamegrene.com/
> please me: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/wishlist/25USVJDH68554
> icq: 2927491 / aim: akaMorbus / yahoo: morbus_iff / jabber.org: morbus

I would second the suggestion, Of using the Amazon.com books as a model  to
gain
your material. If you contact Amazon.com, I am pretty sure that they would
be more
than happy to have you build a web site that sets you up as a reseller of
there products.

I contacted them on the same subject about a year ago and received a very
good response
from their support team. Drop them a line and go with it!

If how ever you find that they would not like to do this I am sure you can
contact a number of
ecommerce businesses that would like to have people reselling their
products.

<my two cents>

Kevin