[thelist] How excusable is the use of frames?

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 16 05:08:16 CDT 2001

>Subject: [thelist] How excusable is the use of frames?

Very excusable.

>I am working on a site and in order to keep the layout flow in all
>resolutions and keep the layers intact I would need to use frames....

Then use them.

>my problem lies exactly on the use of frames....I have heard so many
>arguments against the use of frames but at the same time I have seen big
>corporations using it without any guilt....

Presently many developers are against the use of frames (witness many mails
on many lists), but this is mainly a question of fashion. Current wisdom
denounces frames, while the wisdom of two years ago embraced them. I fully
expect frames to make a triumphant comeback in 2002.

>I wonder if I have any other options to replace the use of the frames in
>this case or not but all my research shows that would be the perfect
>solution....Any opinions on the subject?

IFRAMES or position: fixed would be the theoretical solution. Actually
Iframes have many problems that frames have too: not bookmarkable etc. As to
position: fixed, as long as MS remains asleep and doesn't implement it in
IE6 there's little hope of ever using it.

ppk