[thelist] SQL Server: How Can I Convert VARCHAR to INT?

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu Aug 16 11:36:52 CDT 2001

Anthony,

> What Platform?

    ASP on WinNT 4.

> Create a New Column, INT Type, then you could write a Perl/PHP/VBS script
> to iterate through the rows discarding the Non-Integer data and place it
in
> the new column. Rename the olde column, rename the new column.

    Excellent suggestion. I had been looking for a SQL Server solution --
some SQL function or guru's trick that would allow me to do this within SQL
server. But your suggestion is outside the box into which I had put myself.
Creating a simple ASP page to do what you suggest seems simple enough.
    BTW, if anyone does have a SQL server trick to do this, I would still be
interested in hearing it.
    Thanks, Anthony.

James Aylard