[thelist] top plug ins?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Aug 16 15:33:09 CDT 2001

> I meant in "in actual usage" and was referring to plug-ins
> that are cross browser...I would think it may look something more
> like this perhaps (in order of usage)
>
> RealPlayer G2
> MediaPlayer
> Flash
> Acrobat
> QuickTime
> ShockWave

If you're asking about viewability, then Media Metrix has actually measured
this, every three months, for the last few years. In their June consumer
audit they actually found the following percentages of consumers able to
immediately view the following content, in their current browser, without
installing anything new:

98% of consumers tested could immediately see Flash content
82% of consumers tested could immediately see Java content
69% of consumers tested could immediately see Acrobat files
66% of consumers tested could immediately see Windows Media Player
64% of consumers tested could immediately see Shockwave content
44% of consumers tested could immediately see RealPlayer content
40% of consumers tested could immediately see QuickTime content

(This material is in that URL that you included when you auto-quoted my
full message. Versioning info, methodology and sample tests are up a
directory.)

jd