[thelist] I am looking into the possibility of replacing my

Kevin krr at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 17 02:04:18 CDT 2001

> Message: 13
> From: "Hugh Blair" <hblair at hotfootmail.com>
> To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Subject: RE: [thelist] I am looking into the possibility of replacing my
> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:59:10 -0500
> charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Empty emails don't let us help you.  But that said,
> here's a few links to assist in your decision:
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/category/0,3398,s%253D1730,00.asp
> http://www.motherboards.org/
> http://www.sysopt.com/mboard.html
> http://www.allhw.com/index.shtml
> http://www.magsys.co.uk/mbs/
> http://www4.tomshardware.com/
>
> And if you want to get a little radical:
> http://www.overclockercafe.com/
> http://www.cluboverclocker.com/
>
> -Hugh
> ____________________________
> http://www.wholesalenics.net

That's what the problem was!
I thought that my message had been snipped and it was too far out of the
realm
of this news listing.

So the original question was:
Is there any type of configuration that a web development should be looking
for in a mobo?

Personally with the little I know of mobo's, I can't see it making any real
difference. However everything requires a solid base of information to make
decisions. So how much about hardware features does it take to make these
kinds of decisions?   I was fortunate enough to have some serious help when
built my computer. I did some major reading first of course in Tom's
hardware
guide and a few other places, But if it weren't for the fact that I actually
got someone
to confirm my choices I would not have considered moving forward.

I will have to review the links you gave me to see if I can gain any more
knowledge than I have. Like I was saying, the "Tough part" is trying to
decide just
how much of the technology I need to know about to make this decision.

<tip>

                BEST PRACTICE'S

Checking for values and assigning the default value

This is straight out of the new book:
The Coldfusion Web Application Construction Kit 5.0
Outstanding book, excels way beyond the 4.0 version!

The following paragraph is using inverted logic to explain a best
method approach!

If you wanted to create a default value that did not exist you could:

    <cfif NOT IsDefined("FirstName")>
        <cfset FirstName="Ben">
    </cfif>

However as a general rule you should not include data validation code in
the middle of your core code. This is a bad practice for several reasons,
the
most important of which are that it helps create unreliable code, makes
debuging
difficult, and makes code reuse very difficult.

Best practices dictate that all validation happen before your core code, As
you
should have no need for variable checking of any kind. It should have been
done already.

Now the best approach to creating a default value for a variable it to use
the
<cfparm> tag. As in:

    <cfparam name="FirstName" default="Kevin">

Now when coldfusion processes the code it checks to see if FirstName exists,
If it does
the code is ignored. If, however the value doesn't exist then it is created
there and then.

</tip>

Thank You
Kevin