[thelist] Beautiful SQL Syntax (was: SQL Madness!)

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Fri Aug 17 17:04:52 CDT 2001

matthew garrett wrote:
> Have I been sleeping? I can't remember seeing such an elegantly formatted
> SELECT clause. Makes it pretty easy to spot the missing commas, yes?
>
> > From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
>
> > SELECT category.url_path AS category_url_path
> > , category.name AS category_name
> > , event.id
> > , event.name
> > , event.introduction
> > , event.is_active
> > , event.date_begin
>
> Thanks Rudy - nice tip.

http://rudy.ca writes absolutely beautiful SQL. I love the commas in
front thing. On a local San Diego list I posted a sample of my own code
which uses the "rudy style" and a pal commented to me that it was a
great innovation.

Indeed - good stuff, and far superior to how I was doing it before (in
big long lines -UGH!).

Here's a question - I'm just starting to touch ASP - how does one keep
the SQL crystal clear when doing ASP? Seems like things get messy when
writing that VBScript. But this may be a function of my newbieness with
it.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>