[thelist] I am looking into the possibility of replacing my mobo

Kevin krr at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 17 20:16:09 CDT 2001

Message: 22
From: "the head lemur" <headlemur at clearskymail.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Subject: Re: [thelist] I am looking into the possibility of replacing my
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:09:54 -0700
charset="iso-8859-1"

> Is there any type of configuration that a web development should be
> looking
> for in a mobo?

===========windows only===========

Processor then MotherBoard

Amd: Duron 512 K on chip cache(hold that thought)
Via chipset
more is better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Done deal ! I currently use the Athlon for my K7V with the 512k on chip
    cache. To bad the prices are high and that  their impossible to find.

Also to keep the info current for any late viewers:

I Run Windows 2000
CF Server 4.5
will run Server 2000 for SQL MSDE
IIs 5.0
Access 2k of course "cheap"

Plus all the odds and ends for ftp, graphics etc...

I plan to take a serious looking to database Admin to help
further my knowledge in "Web Master / Developer"

So on the list is Win 2000 SQL MSDE, Oracle 8, Access 2k "it's cheap n'
easy", etc...
I will also in the coming year or so take a good look at PHP and
ASP. While I continue to work thru the local JR Colleges course in
C, followed by C++, Java, Vb.

Mind you I don't plan to be an expert in all of them as
I tend to be somewhat lazy so ... ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>Mother boards come as all in one/video/sound/lan
>never ever buy one of these unless ...\

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hadn't thought of this.
Was thinking of getting the onboard audio so that I could plug
in the speaker, mic, etc...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>266/rambus is vaporware and will not come down in price for a couple of
years

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not sure what you are refering to here?

No interest in over clocking so I don't need to go there. Also not a
gamer so that one is out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>harddrives come in 5400/7200 rpm in ata 33/66/100
>use a 7200rpm/ata100 for your work drive
>use a 5400rpm for your data drive

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will be using this computer in my home office.
AKA sleeping quarters.

Do I really want to run the 7200 rpm drives in this room?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>put your cdroms on the secondary IDE channel
>ATA vs PIO transfer types-zip disks are PIO
>most mother boards cannot handle over 54HZ in transmit speed/ components/
>latency/ etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the ide channels I have not done any work here and have
always accepted the default of what ever windows gives them
at first boot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>384MG of memory is your limit...windows gets confused

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I currently run 384 with win 2k but will be adding 512 in the next few days.
I hear conflicting reports about this for win98 but for win2k I hear max out
the system.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>modems/ buy a new PCI and mark the modem and driver disk/
>net cards/ buy cheep
>you will be so sorry you ever let anybody talk you into an "intellegent"
NIC
>card like Intel or 3com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a ADSL modem using the PPPoe Client so how this fits in is...?
I also use the Intell 10/100 in Business NIC card. Works great but is an
absolute
pain to install. Never once have I not had to find a work around to get it
installed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>now that I have made this clear as mud, here are my current machines;

>http://www.lemurzone.com/news/office2001.htm

the head lemur

I appreciate all the help and insight
If you wished to make further suggestions ...

Thank You
Kevin