[thelist] [OT] Gift Culture on the Net: A Rant

Raymond Camden jedimaster at macromedia.com
Sun Aug 19 08:04:13 CDT 2001

[deletia]
> > There are member's here on Evolt who've already
> > chosen this path.  Thank you for that. Now it's
> > my turn. Will you be the next?
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> i've done plenty of giving already, but am prepared to do it again.
>
> http://shrewm.net/cfd/
>
> if ever you need it again, just do a search for "cfdecrypt"

While I liked Frank's email, how can one go from "It's nice to share code"
to "It's ok to take code." There is a big difference between a Gift Culture,
in which people _choose_ to share, and an Entitlement Culture, where people
feel they are entitled to code.

I want you to tell me, to my face, that you have the right to my source code
even if I don't want to share. Yes, I would be a better person if I shared,
but if I don't, that's my choice.

There is only one valid reason to want to decrypt ColdFusion code, and that
is when you encrypt your only copy, and guess what, you can call MACR
support to get them decrypted.

-Ray Camden

p.s. Let me say it again - I am NOT speaking for Macromedia. I'm not part of
a secret police that will hunt down decryptors.