[thelist] CSS + Div Menu in tables malfunctioning in NS4+ for PC

am alfa at chromatophore.com
Sun Aug 19 18:48:06 CDT 2001

I have researched for hours and I am unable to determine if Netscape has
documented issues involving Div's positioned absolutely
being buggy when the code is placed inside a table.

I have two quick test of the site I am building and in the first example
the div menu system breaks  most of the time in Ns 4 + for PC
as it fails to open when clicked
I am guessing it is doing so because it is in the table, why this happens I
dont know. . .

In the second example I have placed the Div menu outside all tables and near
the bottom of the page
I have also compensated for the positioning by changing the css value to
absolutely positioning the Div where it should be
Now it works in all browsers that I need to worry about!

and yet . . .
my issue here is that the first example works fine in IE 5 for PC and Mac
NS 4+ for mac also is able to handle this configuration
which degrades well for viewers browsng without css enabled

how is it that NS 4+ for PC can be such a pain in the ass requiring me to
build two sites if I want this thing to at least degrade well for viewers
using browsers that work?

Is anyone able to shed some light on this situation?
thanks
-- am