[thelist] [OT] Gift Culture on the Net: A Rant

John Meyer john_meyer at geocities.com
Sun Aug 19 19:10:39 CDT 2001

>The other side of the coin is that I may want to examine your work before
>I purchase it. I need to see that your work will be serviceable to me
>should I choose to pay for it. It's one form of 'consumer beware'. So long
>as I, an honorable person choose to respect your ability to make money
>based on your ideas, there is no problem (even though you fear there might
>be one).

I think you are personally justified in wanting to use open source
materials.  However, the person that makes the tag is just as equally
justified in using encryption to hide his materials, and you should respect it.
Look at it this way:  suppose hackers that owned and operated your ISP
decided that they had a right to decrypt your e-mails, purely out of an
educational desire (yeah, right), and felt that since they owned the
machine that held your e-mails, they had a right to decrypt them.  I'm sure
you wouldn't feel as generous based upon this notion of "education".

<tip>
always be sure to dereference your objects by setting them to nothing in
ASP.  Not doing so can result in a considerable slowdown in your page.
</tip>