[thelist] SQL Server: How Can I Convert VARCHAR to INT?

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Mon Aug 20 13:01:41 CDT 2001

|     Basically, this is one-time clean-up

James,

If you are using SQL Server, and not MSDE, you could play with the DTS
component. DTS (Data Transformation Services) helped me a _lot_ in a recent
scrub of about 14k records with some particularly dirty data, all of which
was in one large table. I split it out into several related tables and did
some transformation on the way (like splitting a full name field and a field
with a salutation and last name). I made use of the Visual Basic
transformations, in which the RegExp object can be used.

DTS in SQL >= 7.0 is graphical, and is simple, imho, to use, and provides a
great latitude of efficacy, which you seek.

Just in case... you can also save the package which does the work... you
never know when you may have to reload the data, or redo the scrub!

<rory disposition="ahhh... Monday." alt="8}"/>