[thelist] Creating Clients

Gord Grisenthwaite sparky_t at telus.net
Thu Aug 23 11:03:48 CDT 2001

Hey, Hershel:

I offered a few clients a similar deal a few years back. I think it's a
viable concept, so viable that I am building a new business plan around it.

I believe that, as the content author and graphics designer you have and
retain copyright to the material, but it is probably in your best interests
to register the copyright. If cousin Vinny or some high school kid is
contracted to "make a site exactly like this," you may have legal grounds to
proceed with a copyright infringement suit.

When it comes to the actual HTML and design of the web pages, I doubt very
much that you could proceed with legal action. I think it would be akin to
_The New York Times_ suing the _New York Post_ for using black ink for text
and 4-colour cover photos, all on newsprint.

If the other person is providing the full service, it may be viable. But if
he is simply designing/developing the site, he has a potentially  new job
title: volunteer.

Cheers,
Gord Grisenthwaite