[thelist] Hanging indent

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu Aug 23 11:15:31 CDT 2001

Olly,

> li {  margin-bottom: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; list-style-position:
outside;
> margin-left: 5px}
> ul { margin-bottom: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; list-style-position:
outside;
> margin-left: 10px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px;
> padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px;
> border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px}

    It looks like a good opportunity to use shorthand properties. I suggest
rewriting the above as follows:

ul {
     margin: 0px 0px 0px 10px ;
     padding: 0px ;
     border-width: 0px ;
}

    Also, I strongly suspect that border-width is completely unnecessary,
unless you have explicitly assigned a border to the ul somewhere else. A CSS
border will not render unless you also specify a border-style value. Now, of
course, since you are also trying to support Netscape 4.x, I won't say with
authority that the above will work reliably, but it should in IE 4+,
Netscape 6.x, and presumably in Opera 5.x, as well.

James Aylard