[thelist] help! client bought Photoshop!!

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Fri Aug 24 16:41:04 CDT 2001

Michael,

What you're going through is another reason why I explicitly write my
contracts with clients to not allow this kind of thing -- I own the
copyright to the design. You might keep this in mind for future. If they
want to mess with the design, which would include messing with images, then
they can purchase the copyright and I'll walk away from the Web site and
let them do whatever they want.... and I won't include that site in my
portfolio, either. I have no problem with clients updating content if they
wish, as long as they don't mess up the site.

That doesn't help you in your situation, but it's something you might
consider keeping in mind to avoid this kind of situation. If the person
wants to keep a professional site, then he needs to have a professional do
it. If not, then if you don't have a contract protecting you from clients
messing with it, I'd think about what you can do about this to protect your
client's professional site and yourself if your name is on that site as the
designer especially.

Unfortunately this stuff hits a bad button with me as I've had a couple of
people pull this on me, too. One of my now former clients paid someone
around $3,000 for a new logo, and then he went in and messed with it,
ruined it, and then wanted to use it with his tweaks. After I quit doing
work for him, he then took my design and had the new designer mess with his
web site, totally ruining all the images I'd done, and now the site has
graphics for all the content on the main page and all JavaScript navigation
so the search engines can't even crawl the site or have content.... but
that's only the beginning.

So some clients just don't get it.

It's nuts that some people think they can just buy the tool and do
everything. Buying a piano doesn't automatically turn someone into a
concert pianist -- it takes years of lessons and practice. Some may
understand that after they buy the piano and some may think they're great
when even the dog runs and hides.

Warmly,
Shirley
--