[thelist] Link Stylesheets

Michael Goddard michael at tdh-marketing.com
Mon Aug 27 15:22:45 CDT 2001

Maybe someone can help me with this...I am trying to find out exactly how a
stylesheet is referenced by the browser when using the <link
rel="stylesheet" etc..> within the HTML document.  Does the browser actually
downloads the stylesheet or does the browser just "query" the stylesheet for
each and every HTML tag?

The reason I am trying to find out is that we have a client who has a
quoting system that we built using PHP and mySQL.  With reps from all over
the world using this thing, the quote records are numerous.  When a user
decides to view all records, it takes a bit of time due to the number of
records on the database.  So we are looking to optimize the page as much as
possible.  We have already clean up our PHP code and streamlined the
database.  Now it is just a matter of tweakin the HTML portion if at all
possible.

I know we are only going to get so much improvement but I am also very
curious on how a browser reacts to the <link rel="stylesheet" etc> question.

Thanks for any info

Michael