[thelist] MSDE management

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Tue Aug 28 11:14:34 CDT 2001

| I'm not sure if you're wrong, but it seems unlikely that MS
| would bundle an
| Enterprise level database for FREE with Access 2000.

Joshua,

I'm also not sure of all the differences, and Ed is fairly true, MSDE is
SQL's runtime engine. It is crippled, no more than 5 connections give any
decent performance, and DBs can only be less than 3 Gig. This, and no
management tools, allows MS sing, "Show me the money!" with their enterprise
"customers."

MDSE even comes with DTS, though without the graphical wizards of Enterprise
Manager, you have to be inured to the, ah, peculiarities of VB and the DTS
object model to make much use of it... OR buy the enterprise version of SQL
Server and export the packages. Just looking at the possibilities available
with DTS and the near-vertical learning curve for the voluminous text that
one has to test the limits of modern plastics technology and push through
the keyboard would make the $5000 for the SQL license begin to look like a
less risky proposition, especially for deep-pocketed, risk-averse
corporations.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised to find that someone has a very nice
replacement for the Enterprise Manager built with the DMO set of objects, to
manage the SQL Server instances. I saw a book with an example of how to
build one... your own customer Enterprise Manager tool for MSDE!

<rory disposition="AHTH" alt="8)"/>