[thelist] quote from Webmonkey site re: copyrighted images

Jamie Bakum jamie.bakum at circle.com
Tue Aug 28 16:40:59 CDT 2001

>Q. If I attribute the work can I use it.
>
>A. No, unless you have acquired permsission. Attribution does not relieve
>you from getting permission to use a copyrighted work.

In most cases - there are exceptions:

US Code 17 - Copyrights - Chapter 1 Sec 107:

"...the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction
in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section,
for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including
multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an
infringement of copyright."

I think some of the confusion may stem from folks who see or hear of this
narrow exception and apply it to everything -

So add "News" to the title of your website and steal away ;-)
---

Jamie