[thelist] Spec Work...?

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Wed Aug 29 09:03:38 CDT 2001

As an out of work recent graduate has no long term industry background,
I have no "portfolio" on which to sell my skills.

There is always room for compromise.

I recently did a project where I knocked up a set of templates / sample
pages and informed then that I would require payment for my time during
this initial design phase.

It was only a few hours and I got my cash.  As it turned out, they liked
my work and we took it from there.

It is possible to do the initial prototyping without the same level of
time / commitment that you would require for the full project.  As such,
it is possible to request (read: "demand") payment for thew time taken
to do this prototype work.  They don't have to commit to the complete
project and you can test out if they know what they really want and
everyone can be happy.

Just my $AU 0.02 (only worth $US 0.01)