[thelist] Spec Work...?

Laura J. Rinaldi rinaldi at ihwy.com
Wed Aug 29 10:07:29 CDT 2001

At 12:59 AM -0700 8/29/01, Eric Langlitz wrote:
>The worst part of this whole miserable e-mail, is that this happens
>everyday, and designers engage in this activity every day.  I don't know
>about you, but I don't like to spend my time doing free work.  If this were
>my prospect client, the first words out of my mouth would be "I have the
>number of a developer that I think would be great for you, let me pull it
>from my file here and......."
>
>Any thoughts/comments/experiences?

I never do spec work. End of story. What I have found is, if the
client did not like the design, they either paid for more renditions,
or they fired me, and found someone else.

This has happened to me once.

The one time I was asked to do spec work, I was shocked. And it
wasn't even spec work with the idea that I would be getting the job.
It was spec work in competition with someone else.

Laura

--
"When action grows unprofitable, gather information; when information
grows unprofitable, sleep."