[thelist] Spec Work Pt. 2

Brad Miller brad at beldamar.com
Wed Aug 29 10:38:03 CDT 2001

<snip>
Should you adjust your bid to match the all money bid
of the lackey who is out bidding you, or should you try to convince your
prospect that you are worth his time and money?
</snip>

There is always someone who will do it cheaper. I will generally come down a
little bit to help meet my clients budget, but I will never cut my price in
half to try to compete with Joe down the street. It sounds like you have
already made some compromises by working partially for goods/services. I
would ask the client if they have seen examples of work from the other
person. And ask them if they think that the work is sufficient for their
needs.
When someone shows examples of their work, they show their best stuff. So
remind the client of that. If the examples are not sufficient then it is
time for you to be a salesman and point out the pros and cons of going with
someone else vs. yourself.

Thanks,
Brad Miller
702-438-7660