[thelist] SQL DTS Transfer

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Wed Aug 29 13:46:51 CDT 2001

D'oh!  I just saw it, too.  If it was a snake it woulda bit me.

Thanks, Dex.  You the man on this kind of stuff.

--Ben

<tip type="SQL" author="Ben Dyer">
If you know anything about T-SQL, you probably know of INNER JOIN and OUTER
JOIN.  But don't forget about their rarely-used cousin CROSS JOIN which
will select every matching combination between two tables.

When is this useful?  A school system is a good example.  If you have a
table of students and a table of dates, you can use a CROSS JOIN to select
every matching combination of students and dates to generate attendance
records.

Caveat: This is over-generalized, the code can get very hairy for something
like this.  It's just good to be aware of the little-used SQL commands
because you never know when they might come in handy.
</tip>

At 01:24 PM 8/29/2001, you wrote:
>If you are going between SQL servers, then do the Xfer objects between
>SQL Servers option --you'll have much more control over the
>operation....
>
>sgd

Ben Dyer
Senior Internet Developer