[thelist] (no subject)

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Wed Aug 29 15:02:04 CDT 2001

> > just moved from a pc to a mac environment (somebody shoot me ! ).
>
> why? mac is far superior to pc! the only reason i don't use
> one is cause they're way expensive :(

Couple of points here:

a. please don't start platform wars on thelist, even in jest.
b. if you're jesting or not contributing to a thread in a productive
manner, please include a tip.

thanks!
David

<tip author="mccreath">
Cross-platform fluency or at least familiarity can open many, many doors
in an employment market that has turned down. If you walk into a job
interview spouting attitude about platforms, you may just shoot yourself
in the foot. I've sent at least one applicant packing because he started
lecturing me about how a Mac web server would be better for the school
district (despite the fact that we were actually using one at the time
of his interview).

There are enough similarities in all major GUIs at this point that
learning a new OS is not nearly as hard as it used to be, but there are
always little quirks to get used to. Where is your menu bar? How do you
exit an application? What applications should I be familiar with?
</tip>