[thelist] Generating PDFs in CGI

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri Aug 31 12:07:31 CDT 2001

I want to generate custom documents for users to print.

I've noticed that many applications generate PostScript and then
use Ghostscript (or Distiller) to convert the file to PDF.

Is generating PDFs *directly* such a bear that I ought to take this
approach?  (FWIW, I was planning to write this in C, but doing it in
PERL is not a problem if there is a good reason.)

I've never worked with PS, EPS or PDF format file internals, and I
thought I ought to ask before I write a big check to Barnes & Noble
for manuals and commit a week or more of my life to learning them.

deke