[thelist] Sending data back to a parent window

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Tue Sep 4 10:13:11 CDT 2001

Here's that the Netscape JS Reference says:

Opener
------
Specifies the window of the calling document when a window is opened
using the open method.

When a source document opens a destination window by calling the open
method, the opener property specifies the window of the source document.
Evaluate the opener property from the destination window.

This property persists across document unload in the opened window.

You can change the opener property at any time.

You may use window.open to open a new window and then use window.open on
that window to open another window, and so on. In this way, you can end
up with a chain of opened windows, each of which has an opener property
pointing to the window that opened it.

Property of: window

Implemented in JavaScript 1.1

I hope this makes sense.