[thelist] Oracle learning curve?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Thu Sep 6 00:54:16 CDT 2001

Hi Frank,

Oracle, eh?   Hmmm ... Dan says "not bad" ... Todd says "big leap" ...
I'll say "Dan and Todd are BOTH right!"

If you are looking at some fairly simple and straightforward stuff -
building and indexing a few tables for some record keeping and reporting
- then I don't think it's too bad.  I think you'll find it pretty
powerful and quick.

If you're wanting to play with some of the more esoteric things like
"quiesce mode" and "replication" and [those ^%$^%$^-ing Tree structure
commands] then I'd have to agree with Todd that you will quickly learn
why the 'good' Oracle DBAs make "the big bucks".  At full strength - I
don't think its a "learn it at home on my own time" kind of package.

However, the nice part is that you can do a heck of a lot with it at
partial strength - you can pick up the simple stuff pretty quickly at
your own pace and add the tricky stuff by taking classes later as you
have a need or interest to get into it.

My 2¢,

RonL.