[thelist] query string manipulation

Jeremy Ridout jridout at acep.org
Fri Sep 7 11:11:14 CDT 2001

I tried it on IIS 4.0 about a year ago and it worked fine. I don't know if
IIS 5.0 changed anything or not. I havent heard that it did, so I suspect
that it still works.

The problem that I had was that IIS logfiles stopped at the index.cfm as
well. That means that the log file would show a gazillion hits to index.cfm
in the root directory, but you couldnt distinguish which REAL pages were
getting hit. I asked around on the FuseBox list but heard of no one else who
had that problem (either that or they didnt rely on IIS logs).

The other problem that we had was that some browsers would have problems
when the actual document that the fancy url pointed to was a PDF (or zip,
etc.). Most browsers handled it fine, however, some would either display
nothing or just handle the pdf as text and show the raw ascii. I don't
remember which browsers did this. The fix was to append a .htm or a .pdf to
the end of the query string depending on the type of page.

We have since gone to a method separating URL variables with commas
(www.mysite.com/1,2,3,4.html). It works SO much better and is, of course,
100% dynamic.