[thelist] embarrassingly stupid XHTML questions

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Sep 17 15:50:08 CDT 2001

>...  "Strict", which, for example, would mean that the following
>  two tags wouldn't work (of course, there are more):
>
>  <center> <div align="center">

that's an interesting idea, morbus

but those tags do work   ;o(

(confirmed in ie5 and netscape6)

it's not like the doctype turns them off (i wish)

perhaps you meant to say the tags "shouldn't" work

but they do

> "Strict" assumes that all your design is done in stylesheets
> (and oh so much more - I'm kinda dummying "Strict" unfairly).

right, all the styling attributes, even entire tags, are gone

as a data guy, i love this separation of structure and style --
data being similarly all about "what" and not about "how"

but i'm curious -- what did you have in mind when you said
"and oh so much more"?

> >3. What are unicode and UTF-8

very good question

i dunno either, although i have heard that

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

can cause problems and for the time being is optional

rudy